“This is one of my family’s go-to recipes,” YMCA of Greenville’s Phillip Phillips tells us. “If you don’t like peanuts, or have an allergy, simply skip the sauce. The marinade already adds a ton of flavor to the chicken.”
- 1.2lb chicken thighs , boneless skinless, cut into 2cm/4/5″ pieces
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tsp white sugar
- 2 tsp red curry paste
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 can coconut milk (full fat)
Thai Peanut Sauce:
- 2 tbsp red curry paste
- 3/4 cup natural peanut butter, smooth
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 2 tsp dark soy sauce
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup water
Optional, For Serving:
- 2 tbsp peanuts finely chopped
- Lime wedges
- Coriander / cilantro leaves and sliced red chilli
- If cooking on a BBQ or over charcoal, soak skewers for 2 hours in water.
THAI CHICKEN SATAY SKEWERS:
- Mix together the chicken and Marinade with 1/4 cup of coconut milk, then set aside for at least 20 minutes, or overnight.
- Thread onto skewers – I do 4 to 5 pieces each.
- Heat 1.5 tbsp oil in a large non stick pan over medium high heat.
- Cook skewers in batches for 3 minutes on each side until golden.
THAI PEANUT SAUCE:
- Place remaining coconut milk and Peanut Sauce ingredients in a saucepan over medium low heat.
- Stir to combine then simmer, stirring every now and then, for 5 minutes.
- Adjust consistency with water – it should be a pourable but thickish sauce.
- Cover with lid and keep warm while cooking skewers.
- Pour sauce into a bowl. Sprinkle with some peanuts – stir some through if you want.
- Pile satay skewers onto a platter, sprinkle with remaining peanuts, coriander and chilli.
- Serve with sauce on the side for dipping.