“I make this recipe a lot during the summer,” says YMCA of Greenville’s Phillip Phillips. “It’s a crowd-pleaser!”
- 3/4 lb (340 g) beef tenderloin, rib-eye, sirloin, or striploin, room temperature
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- dashes pepper
- 2 small cucumber or 1 English cucumber, seeded and sliced
- 4 oz (113 g) cherry tomato, cut in half
- 1 shallot, sliced
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) mint, loosely packed and torn
- 1/4 cup (60 ml ) cilantro, loosely packed and torn
FOR SALAD DRESSING
- 1 1/2 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp palm sugar, or light brown sugar
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 fresh red chili, finely minced
- Season your beef steak with soy sauce and pepper. Let it sit for 15 minutes.
- Grill your steak over a very hot grill to get the grill marks. Cook to your desired doneness. Let the steak rest for 5 minutes, then slice thinly across the grain.
- For the salad dressing, mix together the fish sauce, sugar, lime juice and chili in a small bowl. Taste and adjust sweetness, saltiness and tartness according to your taste.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine beef, cucumber, tomato, shallot, and herbs. Drizzle about 3 tbsp of dressing and toss together. Taste and add more dressing if needed.