Who said salads were boring? Green beans, carrots, zucchini, squash, mushrooms, and radicchio? Colors and tastes galore!
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 large carrots, peeled, trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 8 ounces green beans, trimmed
- 2 large of 6 small portobello mushrooms, cleaned, stemmed and gills removed
- 1 zucchini, cut lengthwise into thirds
- 1 yellow squash, cut lengthwise into thirds
- 1 head radicchio, quartered
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 head Bibb lettuce, outer leaves removed
- 1 small shallot, finely chopped
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- Freshly grated Parmesan, for garnish
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil over medium-high heat; prepare a bowl of ice water. Season the boiling water with salt. Add the carrots and cook for 1 minute. Add the green beans to the pot with the carrots and continue cooking both for 3 minutes. Drain the vegetables in a colander, then immediately transfer to the bowl of ice water to stop the cooking. Remove from the water and pat dry.
- Preheat a large (2-burner) grill pan over medium-high heat.
- Put the carrots and green beans on a baking sheet with the mushrooms, zucchini, squash and radicchio. Drizzle 3 tablespoons of the olive oil on the vegetables and toss to coat. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Grill the vegetables, in batches if necessary, until tender and well-marked, turning them over halfway (about 3 minutes for the green beans and carrots and 8 minutes for the mushrooms, radicchio, zucchini and squash). Transfer the vegetables to a cutting board and chop into bite-size pieces. Slice the radicchio crosswise into shredded pieces.
- Add the smaller, whole leaves of Bibb lettuce to a large serving bowl. Top with the chopped vegetables.
- Whisk together the shallot, lemon zest and juice and some salt and pepper in a small bowl. Add the remaining 3 tablespoons olive oil and whisk until emulsified. Drizzle the vinaigrette over the salad. Top with grated cheese. Serve warm or at room temperature.
SERVING: 4 servings CALORIES: 248kcal CARBS: 15 grams PROTEIN: 4 grams