“This pasta is creamy, savory, and only takes 15 minutes to prepare,” says YMCA of Greenville’s Alex Greenlee. “Add your favorite veggies or a protein option for variety!”
PREP: 5 minsCOOK: 10 mins
TOTAL: 15 mins
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 cup spinach
- 1 cup plain hummus
- 1 lb linguine or another pasta of your choice.
- Juice of 1 lemon + zest
- ¼ cup fresh basil, chopped
- crushed red pepper
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook until al dente according to package directions. Reserve 1 cup of pasta cooking water, then drain the pasta and return to the pot to stay warm.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions and cook for 5-7 minutes or until fragrant and they soften. Add the garlic, and cook for 30 seconds, or until fragrant. Add the spinach and cook for 1 minute, or until is slightly wilts.
- Add the hummus, about ½ cup of the pasta cooking water, the lemon juice and lemon zest, and stir until a creamy sauce forms. Add more pasta water to thin the sauce a little at time, as desired.
- Transfer the cooked pasta to the skillet, turn off the heat and toss everything together. Top with basil and crushed red pepper and serve immediately.